CVS edit/unedit commanda  XML

<pre>I see no way to issue the CVS commands edit and unedit, however,
I do see that there is the ability to monitor edits/unedits.

Is there a way to issue the edit or unedit command?

--
Bill Peet peet@merl.com
Volume Graphics Group Direct : (617) 621-7529

<pre>> I see no way to issue the CVS commands edit and unedit, however,
> I do see that there is the ability to monitor edits/unedits.
>
> Is there a way to issue the edit or unedit command?

This is done with the "Monitor" menu "Edit" and "Unedit" commands.
Does this not work?

tim.
Tim Endres, ICE Engineering, Inc.
mailto: time@ice.com http://www.ice.com
"Usenet - A slow moving self parody." -- Peter Honeyman

<pre>time@ice.com wrote:

> > I see no way to issue the CVS commands edit and unedit, however,
> > I do see that there is the ability to monitor edits/unedits.
> >
> > Is there a way to issue the edit or unedit command?
>
> This is done with the "Monitor" menu "Edit" and "Unedit" commands.
> Does this not work?

This is my misunderstanding of what "Monitor->Edit" does.
I thought "Monitor->Edit" was equivalent to the CVS command:

cvs watch add -a edit file

but it realy does

cvs edit file

--
Bill Peet peet@merl.com
Volume Graphics Group Direct : (617) 621-7529
Mitsubishi Electric ITA Main : (617) 621-7500
201 Broadway Fax : (617) 621-7597
Cambridge, MA 02139 http://3dvolumegraphics.com

<pre>> Perhaps this reflects a misunderstanding on our part about the meaning of
> checkout and release vs edit and unedit.

There are indeed a few places where jCVS is confusing to those familiar
with the command line client. This is good from my point of view.
However, it is not good if these items are not well documented, so it
is clear I should devote a little more manual to this issue.

> On our Unix system with command line interface, checkout brings a copy of a
> file or directory over to a working directory, but leaves it marked as
> read-only. One needs to issue to "edit" command before being able to do
> anything to the file. "Unedit" abandons an editing session and marks the
> file read-only again.

There is a problem with using Java in that there is no mechanism to set
file permissions. Further, file permissions are not consistent across
all platforms. Thus, I have so far punted on this particular problem.

However, it has been suggested (more than once actually that I provide
a property that allows UNIX (and others when possible) users to define a
system command (aka "chmod" ) that can be exec-ed to accomplish the effect.

I am now strongly leaning towards adding this feature, since it is now
appearing that Java 1.2 will be of little help in this regard.

> After a little experimenting with jCVS, it seems that either you have a
> different model or that our model was incorrect. I cannot see that the
> Monitor>Edit and Monitor>Unedit commands in jCVS actually do anything.
> Nothing in the status of the file changes, the permissions on the file
> don't change, no visible indication appears in the project window, etc. Or
> are we missing something?

I believe that what is causing your confusion is that Edit and UnEdit
do not immediately connect to the server. This is done to accommodate
offline operation. Whenever you use Edit or Unedit, the commands will
be sent the next time that you connect. If you do not wish to wait until
then, use the "Monitor -> Send Notifications" command, which will cause
jCVS to connect to the server and send the notifications.

tim.
Tim Endres, ICE Engineering, Inc.
mailto: time@ice.com http://www.ice.com
"Usenet - A slow moving self parody." -- Peter Honeyman

<pre>> Tim, are you sure? If edit doesn't enform the server then how can the
> server display being editted by in the status?

I am quite certain, because I did not want to write that code.
I was forced to.

The assumption is that you will run a command very soon after
that edit command. This is why jCVS includes the menu command
to send them off.

However, now that I look at the properties (now defaults.txt),
I see that jCVS sends a 'noop' command immediately. Thus, jCVS
should send the command asap. You can turn on tracing to see
the protocol to verify that it is occurring.