NullPointerException  XML

<pre>Hi.
I just downloaded and installed jCVS 4.7.3.
While trying to communicate with the cvs server (performing a checkout) I
repeatedly get the following exception report as console output:

Exception occurred during event dispatching:
java.lang.NullPointerException
at com.ice.cvsc.CVSClient.processCVSRequest(CVSClient.java:1240)
at com.ice.cvsc.CVSProject.performCVSRequest(CVSProject.java:1183)
at
com.ice.jcvs.CVSProjectFrame.commonCVSCommand(CVSProjectFrame.java:1345)
at
com.ice.jcvs.CVSProjectFrame.performCheckOut(CVSProjectFrame.java:956)
at
com.ice.jcvs.CVSCheckoutDialog.actionPerformed(CVSCheckoutDialog.java:354)
at java.awt.Button.processActionEvent(Button.java:257)
at java.awt.Button.processEvent(Button.java:230)
at java.awt.Component.dispatchEventImpl(Compiled Code)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(Compiled Code)

Testing the connection gives similar results (with CVSCheckoutDialog
replaced with CVSTestConnectionDIalog).

What am I doing wrong?
Any hints on how to get past this obstacle?

Oh, almost forgot to mention. I have tried both jre-1.1.6 and jre-1.2b4.

Thanks,
Tomas

<pre>Sorry for blaming jCVS, guys.
I just ran the command line version of cvs which also failed.
The message is: Fatal error, aborting. 501: no such user
Which of course was reported in the cvslog.txt file as well (I just found
this excellent file .
Oh well, nothing to do but dwelving into my server config then... Strange,
client-server checkouts works okay on my linux box. What to do now? I'm
trying to run jCVS on M$NT4 by the way. Not my favorite platform if you
ask...
As a curious matter, something seem less than optimal when a null pointer
exception occurs. And I who thought null pointer bugs became obsolete in
Java code. Is there possibly a former C programmer luring behind the
curtains?

Tomas

<pre>On Fri, Sep 11 1998, Tomas Fasth wrote:
> As a curious matter, something seem less than optimal when a null pointer
> exception occurs. And I who thought null pointer bugs became obsolete in
> Java code. Is there possibly a former C programmer luring behind the
> curtains?

Java has the concept of a null object and specifically defines 'null'.
Thus, NullPointerException is an inevitability.

Oh, sure, I could just write perfect code, but where,
then, would be the excitement? 8^)

I have fixed the code.

tim.
Tim Endres, ICE Engineering, Inc.
mailto: time@ice.com http://www.ice.com
"Usenet - A slow moving self parody." -- Peter Honeyman