Using rsh  XML

<pre>

I have had the same problem (well, the same symptoms, that I can't use
pserver for csh), which I've been asking people about for 3 weeks! What
exactly happens in your case? for me, I get server connection but the
password is denied no matter what. I've had a few suggestions just
recently about what might be a fix, which I haven't gotten to try.

Cheers,
jeffrey

At 07:04 PM 9/16/98 +0200, Jochen Bedersdorfer wrote:

>Hello,
>
>for some reason I can't use the pserver for cvs, so I'm trying
>to help myself with rsh.
>However, I don't what to do to prevent rsh from asking me passwords.
>(I know, sounds like a Unix newbie question)
>I mean, I can manually specify the password and login to the cvs
>server, but I want to use it with jCVS. Is there a quick hack to
>let the rsh implementation use a password ?
>
>Thanks for any help,
> Jochen

J. Jeffrey Close
France Telecom R&D
close@halcyon.com
206-545-9360

<pre>

<pre>On Wed, Sep 16 1998, Jochen Bedersdorfer wrote:
> for some reason I can't use the pserver for cvs, so I'm trying
> to help myself with rsh.
> However, I don't what to do to prevent rsh from asking me passwords.
> (I know, sounds like a Unix newbie question)
> I mean, I can manually specify the password and login to the cvs
> server, but I want to use it with jCVS. Is there a quick hack to
> let the rsh implementation use a password ?

You probably want to use the "internal" RSH protocol built into
jCVS so that it will handle the password problem for you. You
should be getting this behavior by default, unless you are running
under Solaris or have added a "jCVS.rshCommand.default" property
to your jcvsrc file. Are either of these cases true?

tim.
Tim Endres, ICE Engineering, Inc.
mailto: time@ice.com http://www.ice.com
"Usenet - A slow moving self parody." -- Peter Honeyman

<pre>
> You probably want to use the "internal" RSH protocol built into
> jCVS so that it will handle the password problem for you. You
> should be getting this behavior by default, unless you are running
> under Solaris or have added a "jCVS.rshCommand.default" property
> to your jcvsrc file. Are either of these cases true?

I'm using Solaris here. Other people will use windows.
I understand under Solaris jCVS will use the external rsh version (which
would possibly require the password sent via stdin)

Anyway, is there a solution for both cases. If not, I'm willing
to help implementing one.

Thanks,
Jochen

<pre>On Wed, Sep 16 1998, Jochen Bedersdorfer wrote:
> I understand under Solaris jCVS will use the external rsh version (which
> would possibly require the password sent via stdin)
>
> Anyway, is there a solution for both cases. If not, I'm willing
> to help implementing one.

The problem is that jCVS can not open the priveleged rsh socket under
UNIX, unless run as root. Thus, you must use the external rsh. The problem
with the password is that rsh does not take a password option. The only
way I know around this is to create a '.rhosts' on your cvs server so
that your host is considered a peer, and you should get no password
request. Otherwise, I think you are hosed. I do not think you can
wrap rsh with your own script in a way that will help.

<pre>On Thu, Sep 17 1998, Jochen Bedersdorfer wrote:
> > UNIX, unless run as root. Thus, you must use the external rsh. The problem
> > with the password is that rsh does not take a password option. The only
> > way I know around this is to create a '.rhosts' on your cvs server so
> > that your host is considered a peer, and you should get no password
> > request.
>
> I did this, but the remote machine still asks me for a password.

Then you simply do not have it setup correctly, since I use this myself.
You need to work at it until you can rsh into that machine without a
password prompt.

o Check that you have the .rhosts file in the right place.
o Check that you are using the correct hostname (check what 'w' says)
o Check that you have the correct permissions on the .rhosts files
(it cannot be write group or others or it won't be accepted!)
o Check that your host reverses so its name can be determined (again, 'w')

tim.
Tim Endres, ICE Engineering, Inc.
mailto: time@ice.com http://www.ice.com
"Usenet - A slow moving self parody." -- Peter Honeyman

<pre>
Question below--

At 01:39 PM 9/16/98 -0400, Tim Endres wrote:

>The problem is that jCVS can not open the priveleged rsh socket under
>UNIX, unless run as root. Thus, you must use the external rsh. The problem
>with the password is that rsh does not take a password option. The only
>way I know around this is to create a '.rhosts' on your cvs server so
>that your host is considered a peer, and you should get no password
>request. Otherwise, I think you are hosed. I do not think you can
>wrap rsh with your own script in a way that will help.

If jCVS cannot be configured to use a password with an external RSH, then
how can it be used with SSH in a public-key setup? My SSH requires
authorized keys on both ends, and then asks for a pre-configured password
to match the keys. how can

even if I use the property --
jCVS.rshCommand.default=E:/WinNT/System32/rsh.exe

to point to my SSH, I don't see how I can configure it to use the proper
SSH authorization.

BTW, I'm trying to connect to a FreeBSD box from a Win32 box.

Also, is there a list of properties somewhere similar to the above?

Cheers,
jeffrey

>tim.
>Tim Endres, ICE Engineering, Inc.
> mailto: time@ice.com http://www.ice.com
> "Usenet - A slow moving self parody." -- Peter Honeyman

J. Jeffrey Close
France Telecom R&D Pray for rain in Seattle:
close@halcyon.com we are having a drought.
206-545-9360

<pre>On Tue, Sep 22 1998, J. Jeffrey Close wrote:
> >The problem is that jCVS can not open the priveleged rsh socket under
> >UNIX, unless run as root. Thus, you must use the external rsh. The problem
> >with the password is that rsh does not take a password option. The only
> >way I know around this is to create a '.rhosts' on your cvs server so
> >that your host is considered a peer, and you should get no password
> >request. Otherwise, I think you are hosed. I do not think you can
> >wrap rsh with your own script in a way that will help.
>
> If jCVS cannot be configured to use a password with an external RSH, then
> how can it be used with SSH in a public-key setup? My SSH requires
> authorized keys on both ends, and then asks for a pre-configured password
> to match the keys. how can
>
> even if I use the property --
> jCVS.rshCommand.default=E:/WinNT/System32/rsh.exe
>
> to point to my SSH, I don't see how I can configure it to use the proper
> SSH authorization.

This is vertainly a consideration. One which I have not had time to
deal with, and have not had an SSH at my disposal to test.

I had high hopes that someone might write SSH in Java!

If someone can propose a sensible solution to this problem, I would like
to hear it, as I have not had the time to think it through. I dislike having
to parse the IO stream and interject the password, but if there is no other
way, then what can I do?

> BTW, I'm trying to connect to a FreeBSD box from a Win32 box.
>
> Also, is there a list of properties somewhere similar to the above?

The file "doc/propdoc.txt" is the closest thing to documentation currently.

There
tim.
Tim Endres, ICE Engineering, Inc.
mailto: time@ice.com http://www.ice.com
"Usenet - A slow moving self parody." -- Peter Honeyman

<pre>

Thank you! I'll look for that... otherwise I am stuck having to use jcvs
with pserver, or not using jcvs.

jeffrey

At 01:03 PM 9/23/98 +0200, Tomas Fasth wrote:
>Jeffrey, Tim,
>There is a feature in the current distribution of ssh for the Unix platform
>to avoid having to type the password, especially convenient in situations
>where you are running a series of ssh commands.
>Before issuing ssh commands you run the command ssh-agent evaluating it's
>output in the current shell (which will set a couple of environment
>variables). ssh-agent asks for a password once and then put itself in
>background mode. successive runs of ssh will, by using information in
>environment variables, consult the agent (using a local socket port) instead
>of a direct interaction with the user.
>I am not sure this feature is available on the win32 platform, maybe if you
>use it with gnuwin32.
>Hope it helps,
>
>Tomas

<pre>Jeffrey, Tim,
There is a feature in the current distribution of ssh for the Unix platform
to avoid having to type the password, especially convenient in situations
where you are running a series of ssh commands.
Before issuing ssh commands you run the command ssh-agent evaluating it's
output in the current shell (which will set a couple of environment
variables). ssh-agent asks for a password once and then put itself in
background mode. successive runs of ssh will, by using information in
environment variables, consult the agent (using a local socket port) instead
of a direct interaction with the user.
I am not sure this feature is available on the win32 platform, maybe if you
use it with gnuwin32.
Hope it helps,

Tomas

>On Tue, Sep 22 1998, J. Jeffrey Close wrote:
>> >The problem is that jCVS can not open the priveleged rsh socket under
>> >UNIX, unless run as root. Thus, you must use the external rsh. The
problem
>> >with the password is that rsh does not take a password option. The only
>> >way I know around this is to create a '.rhosts' on your cvs server so
>> >that your host is considered a peer, and you should get no password
>> >request. Otherwise, I think you are hosed. I do not think you can
>> >wrap rsh with your own script in a way that will help.
>>
>> If jCVS cannot be configured to use a password with an external RSH, then
>> how can it be used with SSH in a public-key setup? My SSH requires
>> authorized keys on both ends, and then asks for a pre-configured password
>> to match the keys. how can
>>
>> even if I use the property --
>> jCVS.rshCommand.default=E:/WinNT/System32/rsh.exe
>>
>> to point to my SSH, I don't see how I can configure it to use the proper
>> SSH authorization.
>
>This is vertainly a consideration. One which I have not had time to
>deal with, and have not had an SSH at my disposal to test.
>
>I had high hopes that someone might write SSH in Java!
>
>If someone can propose a sensible solution to this problem, I would like
>to hear it, as I have not had the time to think it through. I dislike
having
>to parse the IO stream and interject the password, but if there is no other
>way, then what can I do?
>
>> BTW, I'm trying to connect to a FreeBSD box from a Win32 box.
>>
>> Also, is there a list of properties somewhere similar to the above?
>
>The file "doc/propdoc.txt" is the closest thing to documentation currently.
>
>There
>tim.
>Tim Endres, ICE Engineering, Inc.
> mailto: time@ice.com http://www.ice.com
> "Usenet - A slow moving self parody." -- Peter Honeyman

<pre>

If I understood SSH well enough, I might do that, but I don't. :<

It must be substantial amount of work, or there would be more than 1
company producing a widespread client version.

jeffrey