gzip question  XML

<pre>On Mon, Sep 21 1998, Per Anders Waaler wrote:
> ERROR downloading 'Created' file 'test/hosts'
> into temporary file 'D:/temp/T7b31095.cvs'.
> REASON CVSClient.retrieveFile: ERROR size line is invalid 'E cvs [server
> aborted]: couldn't exec gzip: No such file or directory'

This is due to the executable "gzip" not being in your PATH on the
server machine. There are a number of ways to correct this, but fixing
PATH is the best.

If you can not fix the server, you can turn off the "allows compression"
flag for the project to disable the compression feature. You can turn
this flag off with the "Allow File Compression" menu item in the File
menu in the Project window. You want to "uncheck" the menu item.

You can also put the following line in your 'jcvsrc.txt' (or '.jcvsrc'
for UNIX users) file in your home directory:

jCVS.global.allowGzipFileMode=false

which will disable the feature for all projects.

tim.
Tim Endres, ICE Engineering, Inc.
mailto: time@ice.com http://www.ice.com
"Usenet - A slow moving self parody." -- Peter Honeyman

<pre>Hi,

We're trying to set up our developing env. using jCVS on the client
side.
cvs server runs on the Solaris box, and selecting test connection in
jCVS works fine.
My problem starts when I want to checkout:
(checkout with unix client works fine)

cvs server: Updating test
U test/auto_home
U test/hostname.hme0
U test/hosts
ERROR downloading 'Created' file 'test/hosts'
into temporary file 'D:/temp/T7b31095.cvs'.
REASON CVSClient.retrieveFile: ERROR size line is invalid 'E cvs [server
aborted]: couldn't exec gzip: No such file or directory'
ERROR downloading 'Created' file 'test/hosts'
into temporary file 'D:/temp/T7b31096.cvs'.
REASON CVSClient.retrieveFile: ERROR size line is invalid 'E cvs [server
aborted]: gzip exited 256'

The command encountered an error.

The two first files are empty, hosts is the first file containing data.

cvs on the server side is in /usr/local/bin, so is gzip.
/usr/local/bin is in roots path.

any hints ?
thx
Per Anders Waaler

<pre>-------------- Forwarded Message -------------

From: Per Anders Waaler <per.anders.waaler@marlink.com>
To: Tim Endres <time@ice.com>
Date: Mon Sep 21 05:26:24 EDT 1998
Subject: Re: gzip question

Hi,

gzip is in the PATH of ROOT on the server side.
I changed default shell from bash to sh in /etc/passwd
and now it works,

thx
Per Anders