A good scripting language (was: jCVS command-line interface?  XML

<pre>>I have contemplated one many times, along with a scripting
>language that could be imbedded into jCVS, but I have never
>had the time to get it done.

I happen to like very much an object oriented scripting language called
Python (http://www.python.org). It has (IMO) an easy and clean syntax. There
have been a recent release of a Python interpreter called jPython
(http://www.python.org/jpython) fully implemented in Java. Maybe something
to concider to embed in jCVS? An particularly nice feature is full access to
Java class libraries. Performance is an issue of course, I mean, an
interpreter written in Java, there has to be some penalty for that. But for
controlling and extending purposes I think it would work just fine.
See also: http://www.developer.com/journal/techfocus/081798_jpython.html

Comments?

Tomas

<pre>On Mon, Sep 21 1998, Tomas Fasth wrote:
> >I have contemplated one many times, along with a scripting
> >language that could be imbedded into jCVS, but I have never
> >had the time to get it done.
>
> I happen to like very much an object oriented scripting language called
> Python (http://www.python.org). It has (IMO) an easy and clean syntax. There
> have been a recent release of a Python interpreter called jPython
> (http://www.python.org/jpython) fully implemented in Java. Maybe something
> to concider to embed in jCVS? An particularly nice feature is full access to
> Java class libraries. Performance is an issue of course, I mean, an
> interpreter written in Java, there has to be some penalty for that. But for
> controlling and extending purposes I think it would work just fine.
> See also: http://www.developer.com/journal/techfocus/081798_jpython.html

You are the second person to echo these sentiments.
I will definitely take a look at Python!
thanks,
tim.
Tim Endres, ICE Engineering, Inc.
mailto: time@ice.com http://www.ice.com
"Usenet - A slow moving self parody." -- Peter Honeyman