jCVS/rcs problem  XML

<pre>Hey,

I've got my cvs server setup correctly, I think, and I can add files to the
repository using jCVS but when I do a commit I get the following error
message:

cvs server: Examining Test
cvs server: Committing Test
rcs error: Unknown option: -x,v/
usage:
rcs -i -alogins -Alogins -e[logins] -c[commentleader] -l[rev] -u[rev] -L -U
-nname[:[rev]] -Nname[:[rev]] -orange -sstate[:rev] -t[textfile] file....
rcs aborted
cvs server: could not create /usr/local/cvsroot/Test/J.bat,v
cvs server: Couldn't open rcs file `/usr/local/cvsroot/Test/J.bat,v': No
such file or directory
rcs error: Unknown option: -x,v/
usage:
rcs -i -alogins -Alogins -e[logins] -c[commentleader] -l[rev] -u[rev] -L -U
-nname[:[rev]] -Nname[:[rev]] -orange -sstate[:rev] -t[textfile] file....
rcs aborted
cvs server: could not create /usr/local/cvsroot/Test/TreeDemo2.java,v
cvs server: Couldn't open rcs file
`/usr/local/cvsroot/Test/TreeDemo2.java,v': No such file or directory
rcs error: Unknown option: -x,v/
usage:
rcs -i -alogins -Alogins -e[logins] -c[commentleader] -l[rev] -u[rev] -L -U
-nname[:[rev]] -Nname[:[rev]] -orange -sstate[:rev] -t[textfile] file....
rcs aborted
cvs server: could not create /usr/local/cvsroot/Test/TreePanel.java,v
cvs server: Couldn't open rcs file
`/usr/local/cvsroot/Test/TreePanel.java,v': No such file or directory

The command encountered an error.

It looks to be a rcs problem but I thought some of the people on the list
may be able to shed some light on the subject.

Thanks...

Simon Mac Donald

<pre>On Tue, Sep 22 1998, Simon Macdonald wrote:
> It looks to be a rcs problem but I thought some of the people on the list
> may be able to shed some light on the subject.

It actually appeared to be more of a case of the file system "not being there".
Are you sure you are using the correct "case"? I see the directory named "Test".
Win32 will certainly recognize that, even if it is "test", but the server side
will not. So check your server repository to be sure of case sensitivity.

If that is not the problem, it could be RCS, but I have doubts. Are you using
version 5.7 of RCS?

tim.
Tim Endres, ICE Engineering, Inc.
mailto: time@ice.com http://www.ice.com
"Usenet - A slow moving self parody." -- Peter Honeyman

<pre>On Tue, Sep 22 1998, Simon Macdonald wrote:
> As for RCS, I can't figure out what version it is the only info I can get on
> it is the files datestamp of May 1996.

That looks old. What does "rcs -V" produce?

Also, please run the problem case with tracing turned on
(MainWindow --> FileMenu --> Turn On Tracing). When you quit,
send the file 'cvslog.txt' which will show me the protocol.

Thanks,

tim.
Tim Endres, ICE Engineering, Inc.
mailto: time@ice.com http://www.ice.com
"Usenet - A slow moving self parody." -- Peter Honeyman

<pre>Well,

My CVSROOT is /usr/local/cvsroot and I used jCVS to create a new module
Test. After that command the /usr/local/cvsroot/Test directory appeared.
So everything looks okay on the server.

<pre>> -----Original Message-----

[Macdonald, Simon [KAN:0Q66:EXCH]] Unknown option.

> Also, please run the problem case with tracing turned on
> (MainWindow --> FileMenu --> Turn On Tracing). When you quit,
> send the file 'cvslog.txt' which will show me the protocol.

[Macdonald, Simon [KAN:0Q66:EXCH]] The file will be attached.

Thanks...

Simon

> <<cvslog.txt>>

<pre>On Tue, Sep 22 1998, Simon Macdonald wrote:
> [Macdonald, Simon [KAN:0Q66:EXCH]] The file will be attached.
>
> Thanks...
>
> Simon
>
> > <<cvslog.txt>>

From the log, things appear to be working fine, and then the connection
is dropped. Looks like the compression is causing the problem. Please
try turning off the compression (Project Window --> File --> Allow File
Compression UNchecked). This should let the protocol complete.

tim.
Tim Endres, ICE Engineering, Inc.
mailto: time@ice.com http://www.ice.com
"Usenet - A slow moving self parody." -- Peter Honeyman

<pre>On Tue, Sep 22 1998, Simon Macdonald wrote:
[> Argh,
[>
[> I forgot to turn compression off when I did the cvslog.txt file for you.
[> Here is the actual problem...
[>
[> Thanks...

[> [ logging... ]
[> CVSRequest: reading response...
[> CVSClient.READLine: 'E cvs server: Examining Test'
[> CVSClient.READLine: 'E cvs server: Committing Test'
[> CVSClient.READLine: 'E rcs error: Unknown option: -x,v/'

I think your RCS is out of date.

If you were to update to cvs 1.10.1, this problem would disappear,
since the proper RCS is "builtin" to CVS.

The "-x" option is described as:

-xsuffixes
specifies the suffixes for RCS files. A nonempty
suffix matches any pathname ending in the suffix.
An empty suffix matches any pathname of the form
RCS/path or path1/RCS/path2. The -x option can
specify a list of suffixes separated by /. For
example, -x,v/ specifies two suffixes: ,v and the
empty suffix. If two or more suffixes are speci-
fied, they are tried in order when looking for an
RCS file; the first one that works is used for that
file. If no RCS file is found but an RCS file can
be created, the suffixes are tried in order to
determine the new RCS file's name. The default for
suffixes is installation-dependent; normally it is
,v/ for hosts like Unix that permit commas in file-
names, and is empty (i.e. just the empty suffix)
for other hosts.