[jcvs] CVSC/JCVS passwd authentication, timing issue and ine  XML

<pre>
Hello All,

A few questions, hopefully someone can help me out. I have an application
that uses the CVSC client to communicate with the CVS server (in pserver
mode) to save and retrieve data. Most things work fine but i have come upon
a few issues:

1. I have a "passwd" file in my CVSROOT directory. I want all cvs actions to
be logged as a cvsuser however i dont want to add another user to the system
because of security concerns. The passwd file addresses these concern (it
allows me to create a cvs specific user that maps to a username already on
the system). However, I cant seem to perform my commit through my
application when i try to login as this cvsuser in the passwd file. I get
the message:

cvs [server aborted]: your apparent usernam (cvsuser) is unknown to this
system

The funny thing is that this issue ONLY occurs when i am using the CVS
client (i.e. my application). If I login in pserver mode through the command
line using the same username, everything works fine!. Any ideas why this is
happening?

2. A common CVS thig is that if you have a sticky tag set for particular
entry in the entries file, commits will fail until the tag is removed
(usually happens when you have checked a specifici version of a file using
"-r"). The way to get around this problem is the perfrom a "checkout -A" (to
clear the sticky tags), followed by a "commit".
My application has to overcome this issue aswell, so I do excactly that.
Before trying to update something to CVS, a "checkout" is performed,
immediately followed by the "commit". The problem that is occuring is that
unless a slight "pause" is given to the application (using Thread.sleep() )
after the checkout, the commit FAILS!!. Perhaps because the commit start
processing before the checkout is complete?. But that does not seem likely
as the application is synchroous and waits for the call to
"perfromCVSRequest" which does the actual checkout to return true before it
runs the next request to perform the commit. Any ideas what is happening
here?

3. I would like to run the cvs server as a standalone app instead of through
inetd. All attempts to do this so far have failed. How can i do this.

4. FINALLY, (this question is specificlly for Tim). Is there a version of
CVSC/JCVS that does not use the "mindbright" package for secure shell
functionality (i.e. uses something governed by the GPL license instead?).

Thanks for the help!

<pre>1. strange, it works for me. i have built an interface on top jcvsii to do just
that(its not finished yet but this particular part works great), it works great.
2. you have probably forgot to mention that you are trying to do a commit to one
of the administrative files, e.g: the passwd you mentioned earlier. i don't
think you can do much about it because of the update cycle inside cvs for the
administrative files.
I added an exception to the procedure to tell the thread above to try again in
15 sec, which is what i timed the cycle to go on average.(at least on linux).
3. can't help you, i use inetd. read more faqs on cvshome.org
4. I also want to know that, but i think that if you use pserver then it doesn't
matter much is it. I don't care for my app since it should be used as an
internal application, but even if its not, they could always use a vpn between
the computers. after all, this should be a dedicated server. especially since
cvs is not really good on atomic commands etc.. and when using cvs as an
archiving server with the expectancy to behave like an online server when its in
fact a batching system.
Try to also check subversion or friends they also have libraries. see
http://better-scm.berlios.de/comparison/comparison.html#main

* - * - *
Tzahi Fadida
MSc Student
Information System Engineering Area
Faculty of Industrial Engineering & Management
Technion - Israel Institute of Technology
Technion City, Haifa, Israel 32000
Email TzahiFadida@Lycos.Co.Uk
Technion Email: Tzahi@TX.Technion.ac.il

WARNING TO SPAMMERS: see at http://members.lycos.co.uk/my2nis/spamwarning.html