[jcvs] jCVS hangs with Java > 1.3  XML

<pre>I am using jCVS 5.4.1 (tried also older versions) together with several
Java Versions.
Because of support of wheel mouse and other nice features I would like
to run jCVS with Java 1.4(.2).

The problem is, that whenever I do updates of the whole project (or
larger directories), jCVS just stops somewhere in the middle of the
update and hangs around. When switching to some other window and
switching back it not even refreshes the window.
This only happens with Java 1.4.1 and Java 1.4.2.
If I switch back to Java 1.3.1_01 (just change JAVA_HOME in my
startscript) I can update as many files I want.

If I just update some files or smaller directories it works fine.
I dont use any gzip feature and connect direct with "pserver" to the cvs
server.

My client is a RedHat 7.3 and the server a RedHat 9.0 (was RedHat 7.2
before with same problems).

My co-workers use WinCVS on M$ and have no problems.

Might this be a problem with the new I/O packages in Java 1.4 ?

What can I do ?

--
Laurenz Lanik
TrendMind IT

<pre>Hi,

This is the first time I have heard of this problem. Other uses have had
difficulties
with GZIP mode, but you noted that you are not using GZIP. I presume that this
means you set GZIP Stream Level to 0, and GZIP File Mode to false.

Also, it is clearly a JDK1.4 issue. Previously, MindBright's SSH package caused
problems under 1.4, but jCVS 5.4.1 eliminated that package, and, besides, you
indicated that you are using pserver mode, not ssh.

This leads me to the same conclusion as you, that there is something about my
code's interfacing to the JDK1.4 I/O packages.

The GZIP problem was actually fixed a couple of releases ago. The problem was
that I failed to call flush() on the GZIP stream at the right moment. The reason
this
is relevant is that maybe the problem you are seeing is the result of a similar
lack
of proper flushing, or some other misuse of a java.io class.

Can you give me some idea of how many files, and/or bytes, I need to reproduce
the problem?

Can you tell me the other jCVS versions you saw the same problem with?

Can you turn on tracing and see if there is anything on the resulting log that
gives
any clue as to why jCVS hangs?

tim.

> I am using jCVS 5.4.1 (tried also older versions) together with several
> Java Versions.
> Because of support of wheel mouse and other nice features I would like
> to run jCVS with Java 1.4(.2).
>
> The problem is, that whenever I do updates of the whole project (or
> larger directories), jCVS just stops somewhere in the middle of the
> update and hangs around. When switching to some other window and
> switching back it not even refreshes the window.
> This only happens with Java 1.4.1 and Java 1.4.2.
> If I switch back to Java 1.3.1_01 (just change JAVA_HOME in my
> startscript) I can update as many files I want.
>
> If I just update some files or smaller directories it works fine.
> I dont use any gzip feature and connect direct with "pserver" to the cvs
> server.
>
> My client is a RedHat 7.3 and the server a RedHat 9.0 (was RedHat 7.2
> before with same problems).
>
> My co-workers use WinCVS on M$ and have no problems.
>
> Might this be a problem with the new I/O packages in Java 1.4 ?
>
> What can I do ?
>

> --
> Laurenz Lanik
> TrendMind IT
> Dienstleistung GmbH
> Phone: +43/1/31631/970
> Mobil: +43/676/883163970
> EMail: L.Lanik@trendmind.at

<pre>I too experience this problem....I notice that I get it less frequently if
my network connection is good (no noise on the line).

At 08:35 AM 11/3/2003 +0100, Laurenz Lanik wrote:
>I am using jCVS 5.4.1 (tried also older versions) together with several
>Java Versions.
>Because of support of wheel mouse and other nice features I would like
>to run jCVS with Java 1.4(.2).
>
>The problem is, that whenever I do updates of the whole project (or
>larger directories), jCVS just stops somewhere in the middle of the
>update and hangs around. When switching to some other window and
>switching back it not even refreshes the window.
>This only happens with Java 1.4.1 and Java 1.4.2.
>If I switch back to Java 1.3.1_01 (just change JAVA_HOME in my
>startscript) I can update as many files I want.
>
>If I just update some files or smaller directories it works fine.
>I dont use any gzip feature and connect direct with "pserver" to the cvs
>server.
>
>My client is a RedHat 7.3 and the server a RedHat 9.0 (was RedHat 7.2
>before with same problems).
>
>My co-workers use WinCVS on M$ and have no problems.
>
>Might this be a problem with the new I/O packages in Java 1.4 ?
>
>What can I do ?
>

>--
>Laurenz Lanik
>TrendMind IT
>Dienstleistung GmbH
>Phone: +43/1/31631/970
>Mobil: +43/676/883163970
>EMail: L.Lanik@trendmind.at

<pre>Okay, I now reproduced the problem with all logging features on.
Of course, when I wanted to reproduce the phenomen did not occur, but I
put some extra load on my PC (AMD Athlon 1400+ running RedHat 7.3) then
jCVS suddenly hung. (On the server there was just the cvs server process
hanging around and possibly waiting for the client to continue.)

I dont think that the number of files does cause the problem, - it just
raises the probability for this error to occur.

The versions of jCVS I had the problem with were 5.4.1 and 5.3.2. I
always just switched the Java version and it worked resp. did not work.

When jCVS hangs the log files just ends with the following lines ... to
me there is no advice in it ...

PROCESSResponseItem:
item.getType '15'
item.getPathName './java/at/kka/ego/client/note/'
item.repositoryName
'/src/master/kka/ego1/java/at/kka/ego/client/note/NoteListPanel.java'
item.getModeLine 'u=rw,g=rw,o=rw'
item.getEntriesLine '/NoteListPanel.java/1.71///TKA_V1_01'
createItemEntry:
item.getPathName './java/at/kka/ego/client/note/'
item.repositoryName
'/src/master/kka/ego1/java/at/kka/ego/client/note/NoteListPanel.java'
item.getEntriesLine '/NoteListPanel.java/1.71///TKA_V1_01'
normalizeLocalDirectory: RESULT './java/at/kka/ego/client/note/' --->
'./java/at/kka/ego/client/note/'
CVSProject.ENSUREEntryHierarchy:
localDirectory './java/at/kka/ego/client/note/'
repository '/src/master/kka/ego1/java/at/kka/ego/client/note
CVSClient.ensureLocalTree: tempFile
'/home/llanik/cvs/kka/ego1/java/at/kka/ego/client/note/NoteListPanel.java'
localPath
'/home/llanik/cvs/kka/ego1/java/at/kka/ego/client/note/NoteListPanel.java' -->
'java/at/kka/ego/client/note'
CVSClient.ENSURE Proper WORKING Directory:
localRoot '/home/llanik/cvs/kka/ego1'
subPath 'java/at/kka/ego/client/note'
ensureAdm 'true'
CVSClient.ensureProperWorkingDirectory: ADMINDIR
'/home/llanik/cvs/kka/ego1/java/CVS'
CVSClient.ensureProperWorkingDirectory: ADMINDIR
'/home/llanik/cvs/kka/ego1/java/at/CVS'
CVSClient.ensureProperWorkingDirectory: ADMINDIR
'/home/llanik/cvs/kka/ego1/java/at/kka/CVS'
CVSClient.ensureProperWorkingDirectory: ADMINDIR
'/home/llanik/cvs/kka/ego1/java/at/kka/ego/CVS'
CVSClient.ensureProperWorkingDirectory: ADMINDIR
'/home/llanik/cvs/kka/ego1/java/at/kka/ego/client/CVS'
CVSClient.ensureProperWorkingDirectory: ADMINDIR
'/home/llanik/cvs/kka/ego1/java/at/kka/ego/client/note/CVS'

At this point the two jCVS windows hang, dont even refresh and you have
to kill them. (I once tried to just wait ... took some coffee ... no
chance)

At CVS-login the log file reads the following:

CVSRequest: opening server...
CVSClient.openServer: creating connection...
CVSClient.openServer: creating i/o streams...
CVSClient.openServer: server is open.
CVSRequest: server is open.
AUTHENTICATE: verifyOnly? 'false' userName 'llanik' password 'Aey=4w?d''
CVSClient.SENDLine: 'BEGIN AUTH REQUEST'
CVSClient.SENDLine: '/src/master'
CVSClient.SENDLine: 'llanik'
CVSClient.SENDLine: 'Aey=4w?d''
CVSClient.SENDLine: 'END AUTH REQUEST'
CVSClient.READLine: 'I LOVE YOU'
AUTHENTICATE: REPLY: 'I LOVE YOU'
CVSClient.SENDLine: 'valid-requests'
CVSClient.READLine: 'Valid-requests Root Valid-responses valid-requests
Repository Directory Max-dotdot Static-directory Sticky Checkin-prog Update-prog
Entry Kopt Checkin-time Modified Is-modified UseUnchanged Unchanged Notify
Questionable Case Argument Argumentx Global_option Gzip-stream
wrapper-sendme-rcsOptions Set Kerberos-encrypt Gssapi-encrypt
Gssapi-authenticate expand-modules ci co update diff log rlog add remove
update-patches gzip-file-contents status rdiff tag rtag import admin export
history release watch-on watch-off watch-add watch-remove watchers editors init
annotate rannotate noop version'
CVSClient.READLine: 'ok'
PARSE: ok
Valid Requests: useUnchanged 'true' useDirectory 'true'
CVSRequest: send root directory...
CVSClient.SENDLine: 'Root /src/master'
Utilitizing Gzip-stream mode at level 6.
CVSClient.SENDLine: 'Gzip-stream 6'
CVSClient.SENDLine: 'Valid-responses E M ok error Valid-requests Created Merged
Updated Update-existing Removed Remove-entry New-entry Checked-in Checksum
Copy-file Notified Clear-sticky Set-sticky Clear-static-directory
Set-static-directory '
CVSClient.SENDLine: 'UseUnchanged'

In the preferences I set the GZIP File Mode to false ... so I dont
understand why there is something about gzip in the log ...

My ".jcvsii" reads:

#UserPrefsFileLoader $Revision: 1.2 $
#Tue Nov 04 08:33:40 CET 2003
jcvsii.initrep.info.arguments=
jcvsii.wb.root.ego1.desc=
jcvsii.import.info.user=llanik
jcvsii.wb.root.zinsweb.local=/home/llanik/cvs/kka/zinsweb
jcvsii.testconn.info.repository=
jcvsii.create.info.method=INET
jcvsii.create.info.server=
jcvsii.wb.root.MailSpooler.local=/home/llanik/cvs/kka/MailSpooler
jcvsii.export.info.exportdir=
jcvsii.initrep.info.repository=
jcvsii.wb.root.rhdbadmin.isleaf=true
jcvsii.wb.root.KKA.local=/home/llanik/cvs
jcvsii.wb.root.Ego.local=/home/llanik/cvs/kka
jcvsii.global.exec.verbs.size=2
jcvsii.wb.root.TrendMind.isleaf=true
jcvsii.chkout.info.user=llanik
jcvsii.export.info.module=
jcvsii.global.exec.verbs.0.size=2
jcvsii.importadd.addimport.exportdir=InitR
jcvsii.wb.root.rhdbadmin.local=/home/llanik/cvs/src/rhdb-admin
jcvsii.global.cvsLogFileName=~/cvs.log
jcvsii.wb.root.eGo.local=/home/llanik/cvs
jcvsii.import.info.repository=/src/master
jcvsii.initrep.info.method=INET
jcvsii.initrep.info.server=
jcvsii.wb.root.KKA.name=KKA
jcvsii.wb.root.test.local=/home/llanik/cvs/test
jcvsii.importadd.addimport.module=InitL
jcvsii.wb.root.eGo.name=eGo
jcvsii.wb.root.name=Work Bench
jcvsii.wb.root.test.name=test
jcvsii.wb.root.children=foerdprog\:ego1\:TrendMind\:test\:MailSpooler\:zinsweb
jcvsii.import.info.arguments=
jcvsii.project.tree.doubleClickVerb=open
jcvsii.wb.root.KKA.isleaf=true
jcvsii.wb.root.Ego.desc=
jcvsii.global.useJAF=false
jcvsii.wb.root.ego1.local=/home/llanik/cvs/kka/ego1
jcvsii.global.exec.verbs.1.size=2
jcvsii.create.info.user=llanik
jcvsii.export.info.arguments=
jcvsii.export.info.method=INET
jcvsii.export.info.server=
jcvsii.global.traceAll=true
jcvsii.import.info.module=kka/zinsweb
jcvsii.wb.root.ego1.name=ego1
jcvsii.export.info.user=
jcvsii.global.project.deepDebug=true
jcvsii.mainFrame.bounds=517\:427\:635\:408
jcvsii.importadd.addimport.user=
jcvsii.importadd.addimport.server=
jcvsii.project.details.content.type=text/html
jcvsii.testconn.info.exportdir=
jcvsii.testconn.info.user=
jcvsii.wb.root.eGo.isleaf=true
jcvsii.export.info.repository=
jcvsii.testconn.info.module=
jcvsii.create.info.exportdir=
jcvsii.wb.root.test.isleaf=true
jcvsii.chkout.info.module=kka/ego1
jcvsii.wb.root.zinsweb.desc=
jcvsii.wb.root.Ego.isleaf=true
jcvsii.wb.root.ego1.isleaf=true
jcvsii.mainPanel.divider.location=175
jcvsii.chkout.info.exportdir=/home/llanik/cvs
jcvsii.wb.root.zinsweb.isleaf=true
jcvsii.global.temporaryDirectory=/tmp
jcvsii.wb.root.Ego.name=Ego
jcvsii.import.info.method=INET
jcvsii.import.info.server=brain
jcvsii.wb.root.TrendMind.desc=
jcvsii.wb.root.TrendMind.local=/home/llanik/cvs/TrendMind
jcvsii.global.exec.verbs.1.key=._DEF_.open
jcvsii.wb.root.MailSpooler.desc=
jcvsii.wb.root.foerdprog.isleaf=true
jcvsii.wb.root.rhdbadmin.desc=
jcvsii.wb.root.foerdprog.desc=
jcvsii.global.loadDefaultServerDefs=false
jcvsii.initrep.info.exportdir=
jcvsii.global.project.debugEntryIO=true
jcvsii.testconn.info.method=INET
jcvsii.testconn.info.server=
jcvsii.global.timeStamp.timeZone=GMT-1
jcvsii.importadd.addimport.repository=InitV
jcvsii.testconn.info.arguments=
jcvsii.chkout.info.server=brain
jcvsii.chkout.info.method=INET
jcvsii.global.exec.verbs.0.key=._DEF_.edit
jcvsii.wb.root.isleaf=false
jcvsii.plaf.lookAndFeel.classname=javax.swing.plaf.metal.MetalLookAndFeel
jcvsii.create.info.module=kka/zinsweb
jcvsii.create.info.repository=
jcvsii.create.info.arguments=
jcvsii.wb.root.MailSpooler.isleaf=true
jcvsii.wb.root.KKA.desc=
jcvsii.wb.root.eGo.desc=
jcvsii.wb.root.test.desc=
jcvsii.wb.root.desc=This is your work bench.\n\nUse the "+" icons in the
toolbar to add new folders or projects.
jcvsii.initrep.info.user=
jcvsii.chkout.info.arguments=
jcvsii.global.exec.verbs.1.1=/usr/bin/jedit $FILE
jcvsii.global.exec.verbs.1.0=
jcvsii.wb.root.zinsweb.name=zinsweb
jcvsii.global.exec.verbs.0.1=
jcvsii.global.exec.verbs.0.0=
jcvsii.import.info.exportdir=/var/www/html/test.trendmind.at/zinsen/
jcvsii.wb.root.foerdprog.local=/home/llanik/cvs/kka/foerdprog
jcvsii.chkout.info.repository=/src/master
jcvsii.initrep.info.module=
jcvsii.wb.root.TrendMind.name=TrendMind
jcvsii.wb.root.MailSpooler.name=MailSpooler
jcvsii.wb.root.rhdbadmin.name=rhdb-admin
jcvsii.wb.root.foerdprog.name=foerdprog

If there is anything more that I can debug, please tell me, I will try
it.

Laurenz

--
Laurenz Lanik
TrendMind IT
Dienstleistung GmbH
Phone: +43/1/31631/970
Mobil: +43/676/883163970
EMail: L.Lanik@trendmind.at

<pre>> Okay, I now reproduced the problem with all logging features on.
> Of course, when I wanted to reproduce the phenomen did not occur, but I
> put some extra load on my PC (AMD Athlon 1400+ running RedHat 7.3) then

Whoa! You did not mention that you were running jCVS on RedHat.
Whose JVM are you using there?

I ask because it has long been known that there are many issues with IO
and threading with Linux JVMs. I have had instances where jCVS, and other
"serious" Java applications, simply would not work properly under Linux,
yet they worked fine under Windows.

Please tell me what JVM you are using, and also (if you can) if it is possible
to reproduce this problem under Windoze. I suspect that you will not be able
to reproduce this problem under Windows.

tim.

> [...]
> jcvsii.wb.root.test.desc=
> jcvsii.wb.root.desc=This is your work bench.\n\nUse the "+" icons in the
toolbar to add new folders or projects.
> jcvsii.initrep.info.user=
> jcvsii.chkout.info.arguments=
> jcvsii.global.exec.verbs.1.1=/usr/bin/jedit $FILE
> jcvsii.global.exec.verbs.1.0=
> jcvsii.wb.root.zinsweb.name=zinsweb
> jcvsii.global.exec.verbs.0.1=
> jcvsii.global.exec.verbs.0.0=
> jcvsii.import.info.exportdir=/var/www/html/test.trendmind.at/zinsen/
> jcvsii.wb.root.foerdprog.local=/home/llanik/cvs/kka/foerdprog
> jcvsii.chkout.info.repository=/src/master
> jcvsii.initrep.info.module=
> jcvsii.wb.root.TrendMind.name=TrendMind
> jcvsii.wb.root.MailSpooler.name=MailSpooler
> jcvsii.wb.root.rhdbadmin.name=rhdb-admin
> jcvsii.wb.root.foerdprog.name=foerdprog
>
> If there is anything more that I can debug, please tell me, I will try

<pre>Doug,

Are you running under Linux also? Which JVM?

tim.

> I too experience this problem....I notice that I get it less frequently if
> my network connection is good (no noise on the line).
>

> At 08:35 AM 11/3/2003 +0100, Laurenz Lanik wrote:
> >I am using jCVS 5.4.1 (tried also older versions) together with several
> >Java Versions.
> >Because of support of wheel mouse and other nice features I would like
> >to run jCVS with Java 1.4(.2).
> >
> >The problem is, that whenever I do updates of the whole project (or
> >larger directories), jCVS just stops somewhere in the middle of the
> >update and hangs around. When switching to some other window and
> >switching back it not even refreshes the window.
> >This only happens with Java 1.4.1 and Java 1.4.2.
> >If I switch back to Java 1.3.1_01 (just change JAVA_HOME in my
> >startscript) I can update as many files I want.
> >
> >If I just update some files or smaller directories it works fine.
> >I dont use any gzip feature and connect direct with "pserver" to the cvs
> >server.
> >
> >My client is a RedHat 7.3 and the server a RedHat 9.0 (was RedHat 7.2
> >before with same problems).
> >
> >My co-workers use WinCVS on M$ and have no problems.
> >
> >Might this be a problem with the new I/O packages in Java 1.4 ?
> >
> >What can I do ?

<pre>No I am running Winblows 2000.

At 09:36 AM 11/4/2003, Tim Endres wrote:
>Doug,
>
>Are you running under Linux also? Which JVM?
>
>tim.
>
> > I too experience this problem....I notice that I get it less frequently if
> > my network connection is good (no noise on the line).
> >

> > At 08:35 AM 11/3/2003 +0100, Laurenz Lanik wrote:
> > >I am using jCVS 5.4.1 (tried also older versions) together with several
> > >Java Versions.
> > >Because of support of wheel mouse and other nice features I would like
> > >to run jCVS with Java 1.4(.2).
> > >
> > >The problem is, that whenever I do updates of the whole project (or
> > >larger directories), jCVS just stops somewhere in the middle of the
> > >update and hangs around. When switching to some other window and
> > >switching back it not even refreshes the window.
> > >This only happens with Java 1.4.1 and Java 1.4.2.
> > >If I switch back to Java 1.3.1_01 (just change JAVA_HOME in my
> > >startscript) I can update as many files I want.
> > >
> > >If I just update some files or smaller directories it works fine.
> > >I dont use any gzip feature and connect direct with "pserver" to the cvs
> > >server.
> > >
> > >My client is a RedHat 7.3 and the server a RedHat 9.0 (was RedHat 7.2
> > >before with same problems).
> > >
> > >My co-workers use WinCVS on M$ and have no problems.
> > >
> > >Might this be a problem with the new I/O packages in Java 1.4 ?
> > >
> > >What can I do ?

<pre>I have seen the same behaviour from jCVS under 1.4 on win2K and winXP

I managed to get a thread dump while hung using (ctrl-break),
which contained the following:

Found one Java-level deadlock:
=============================
"update":
waiting to lock monitor 0x009be9bc (object 0x10529530, a
javax.swing.RepaintManager),
which is held by "AWT-EventQueue-0"
"AWT-EventQueue-0":
waiting to lock monitor 0x009be93c (object 0x1092e650, a
com.ice.jcvsii.ProjectFrame),
which is held by "update"

Java stack information for the threads listed above:
"update":
at
javax.swing.RepaintManager.addDirtyRegion(RepaintManager.java:234)
- waiting to lock <0x10529530> (a javax.swing.RepaintManager)
at javax.swing.JComponent.repaint(JComponent.java:4341)
at java.awt.Component.repaint(Component.java:240
at javax.swing.JLabel.setText(JLabel.java:31
at com.ice.jcvsii.ProjectFrame.showFeedback(ProjectFrame.java:696)
- locked <0x1092e650> (a com.ice.jcvsii.ProjectFrame)
at
com.ice.jcvsii.ProjectFrame.uiDisplayProgressMsg(ProjectFrame.java:2230)
at com.ice.cvsc.CVSProject.processResponseItem(CVSProject.java:2053)
at com.ice.cvsc.CVSProject.handleResponseItem(CVSProject.java:166
at com.ice.cvsc.CVSClient.processResponseItem(CVSClient.java:1751)
at com.ice.cvsc.CVSClient.readAndParseResponse(CVSClient.java:1903)
at com.ice.cvsc.CVSClient.processCVSRequest(CVSClient.java:1621)
at com.ice.cvsc.CVSProject.performCVSRequest(CVSProject.java:1501)
at com.ice.jcvsii.ProjectFrame$MyRunner.run(ProjectFrame.java:131
at com.ice.jcvsii.CVSThread.run(CVSThread.java:42)
"AWT-EventQueue-0":
at java.awt.Frame.getExtendedState(Frame.java:734)
- waiting to lock <0x1092e650> (a com.ice.jcvsii.ProjectFrame)
at
javax.swing.RepaintManager.addDirtyRegion(RepaintManager.java:265)
- locked <0x10529530> (a javax.swing.RepaintManager)
at javax.swing.JComponent.repaint(JComponent.java:4341)
at java.awt.Component.repaint(Component.java:2451)
at javax.swing.text.DefaultCaret.repaint(DefaultCaret.java:156)
- locked <0x10933aa0> (a
javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicTextUI$BasicCaret)
at
javax.swing.text.DefaultCaret$UpdateHandler.actionPerformed(DefaultCaret.jav
a:1404)
at javax.swing.Timer.fireActionPerformed(Timer.java:271)
at javax.swing.Timer$DoPostEvent.run(Timer.java:201)
at java.awt.event.InvocationEvent.dispatch(InvocationEvent.java:17
at
java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForHierarchy(EventDispatchThread.ja
va:201)
at
java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(EventDispatchThread.java
:151)
at
java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:145)
at
java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:137)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(EventDispatchThread.java:100)

Found 1 deadlock.

*
> [...]
> jcvsii.wb.root.test.desc=
> jcvsii.wb.root.desc=This is your work bench.\n\nUse the "+" icons in
the toolbar to add new folders or projects.
> jcvsii.initrep.info.user=
> jcvsii.chkout.info.arguments=
> jcvsii.global.exec.verbs.1.1=/usr/bin/jedit $FILE
> jcvsii.global.exec.verbs.1.0=
> jcvsii.wb.root.zinsweb.name=zinsweb
> jcvsii.global.exec.verbs.0.1=
> jcvsii.global.exec.verbs.0.0=
> jcvsii.import.info.exportdir=/var/www/html/test.trendmind.at/zinsen/
> jcvsii.wb.root.foerdprog.local=/home/llanik/cvs/kka/foerdprog
> jcvsii.chkout.info.repository=/src/master
> jcvsii.initrep.info.module=
> jcvsii.wb.root.TrendMind.name=TrendMind
> jcvsii.wb.root.MailSpooler.name=MailSpooler
> jcvsii.wb.root.rhdbadmin.name=rhdb-admin
> jcvsii.wb.root.foerdprog.name=foerdprog
>
> If there is anything more that I can debug, please tell me, I will try

<pre>Interesting news: I now tried IBM Java 1.4.1 for Linux and it works
perfect. I am at the moment ripping a CD, encoding it with lame and at
the same time updating to a different branch of our whole project with
no deadlocks. - So it must be some bug or misbehaviour in Sun Java for
Linux ?

java version "1.4.1"
Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.4.1)
Classic VM (build 1.4.1, J2RE 1.4.1 IBM build cxia321411-20030930 (JIT enabled:
jitc))

Laurenz

--
Laurenz Lanik
TrendMind IT

<pre>Laurenz,

I believe that Dean Elhard has identified the issue. It is a deadlock that
results
from my improper updating of the message component. He has provided several
stack/thread summaries that indicates this to be so. It also coincides with the
trouble reports from you and others.

I suspect that the only reason that the IBM JVM changed things is simply due to
a different "performance profile". It is also the reason that is takes so many
files,
to generate so many messages, to cause the problem.

I hope to cut a 5.4.2 to fix this, then hope that you can confirm the fix. I
will post
to the mailing list when I get the time.

tim.